As we’ve said in an earlier post, it’s not about if, but when.
You will get hacked.
These statistics from Cisco tell the story:
- 60 percent of data is stolen within hours
- 54 percent of breaches remain undiscovered for months
- 100 percent of companies are connected to domains that host malicious files or services
Endpoints, networks, email, virtual environments, clouds and data centers. Every device and every interface in your IT environment is an access point for attack. The prospect of the Internet of Things scattering millions of hackable devices across the IT landscape adds a whole new dimension to the security threat.
The only effective approach to security is a holistic, risk-management based approach that is manageable, adaptable, resilient and responsive.
Within that context, Logicalis has identified four often-overlooked security considerations that deserve your attention. Three of them involve defending vulnerabilities that too many organizations today leave undefended. The fourth consideration involves an opportunity to tap security data for business enablement. The four security considerations are:
- Network segmentation — Separating networks from each other based on the relative risk of intrusion. Don’t let your partners access the same network as your accounts receivable.
- Network access — Arm your network to act as a sensor and an enforcer. Capture network flow data to see who is using your network, and authorize your networks to enforce your security policy.
- Managed security alerts — Security monitoring platforms can overwhelm you with a continuous swarm of alerts. Managed security services helps you decide what is a real threat and what is not and respond accordingly.
- Business enablement — Security tools capture a tremendous amount of data about how your compute resources are being used. Use the visibility security technology provides to into your environment to identify opportunities to be more efficient, and more productive.
Check back here for follow up posts in this series that will each provide a more detailed look into one of these key target areas.