2013 is right around the corner. And the New Year can mean lots of new things, especially in an industry that moves as quickly as IT. Therefore Gartner has provided a list of the top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2013.
- Mobile Device Battles: In 2013 mobile devices will pass PCs as the most common way to access the web.
- Mobile Applications and HTML 5: HTML 5 will become a mainstream application developer environment.
- Personal Cloud: Cloud will become the center of all things digital.
- Internet of Things: Over 50% of internet connections are things, and this will only continue to grow.
- Hybrid IT and Cloud Computing: IT departments will have to play more roles.
- Strategic Big Data: Focus on non-traditional data types and external data sources.
- Actionable Analytics: Analytics will accelerate over the next year, including the ability to perform analytics on every action taken in business.
- Mainstream in Memory Computing: this will boost performance and response time.
- Integrated Ecosystems: more packaging of software and services.
- Enterprise App Stores: By 2014 there will be more than 70 billion mobile app downloads.
Do you agree that you need to add these trends into your strategic planning for 2013, making this ripe? Or do you disagree and believe these trends are only hype?